Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Bake

Spaghetti squash is a favorite in our household. Tonight I decided to get creative and try something a little different.

This recipe is paleo friendly (I'll get into this paleo business in a future post) and pretty dang easy. It also makes a ton of food, which means leftovers for lunch. Score!

Disclaimer: I'm not really one for following directions when cooking. I don't look at it as a science and a lot of times I don't measure things in tablespoons, teaspoons, cups etc. So I apologize in advance if you are someone who likes exact measurements. I encourage you to go with the flow!

You've been warned...this is not your typical recipe with exact measurement and directions!

You'll need:
~1 medium to large spaghetti squash, cooked and shredded -don't know how? Google it!
~1 pound ground turkey, cooked
~About 1 tbsp of ghee -or fat of your choice
~4 BIG, I mean BIG, handfuls of spinach-it may seem like a lot but spinach always seems to cook down to nothing
~4 cloves of garlic minced
~1 28 oz can San Marzano diced tomatoes
~Flavor God garlic lover's seasoning - or any sort of garlic seasoning, but Flavor God is best!
~Dried oregano
~Sea salt and black pepper

Optional goodies:
~Shredded parmasan cheese
~Red pepper flakes



Now what?
Heat the ole oven to 375* F

Place the cooked and shredded spaghetti squash in a large bowl with the cooked ground turkey. Set aside.
In a pan over medium heat, heat up about a tablespoon of ghee (or fat of your choice), add in the garlic and saute for about two minutes. Add in the spinach and a splash or two of water. Stir until the spinach has wilted. If you feel like it's cooked down to hardly anything (which always seems to be the case) feel free to add more spinach! Once it's cooked toss into the bowl with the squash and turkey. Add in the can of tomatoes. Season to taste with the garlic lover's seasoning, oregano, salt, pepper, and the red pepper flakes if you choose to use them. L (my husband) can't handle anything spicy, so I added red pepper flakes to my own serving after I dished it up. Now stir it all up and make sure you mix it well. Spray a pan with coconut oil spray, or whatever you choose. I actually had to use two pans because it was so much food. I used one 9x9 inch glass pan and a heart shaped pan. Pour the delicious squash mixture into the pan (or pans) and spread it evenly. Pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes. If you choose to use cheese, sprinkle it on top after the 20 minutes and stick it back in until cheese is melted. Let it cool a bit before serving...or dig right in if your starving like I was. Just don't burn yourself! Enjoy!




 Simple and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment